A woman goes through a wonderfully memorable “journey” during pregnancy. Several couples try to get pregnant for months with no success. At times, even constantly trying becomes an overwhelming task. It includes plenty of tasks like keeping a check on ovulation dates, managing daily chores and work to make the best use of this time, trying the correct positions, consulting with a doctor and taking pregnancy tests.
Moreover, the accuracy of pregnancy test kits, which you can use at home, is also not always reliable. So, it becomes extremely tough to keep your pregnancy status a private affair and less exhausting. Well, to keep it personal and less tiring, you can try some home pregnancy tests that are very accurate. Read on to know more about the 10 best options you can consider for home pregnancy tests.
Benefits of DIY Pregnancy Tests
With the arrival of pregnancy test kits in the drug stores, there are very few people who still turn towards the natural route to test their pregnancy. However, these kinds of tests provide you with plenty of benefits like –
- If you suspect an unplanned pregnancy and do not want others to know about it
- Pregnancy kit disposal can be tricky, but when you use natural ingredients, it becomes very easy
- Almost all home pregnancy test ingredients are always available in your kitchen
- You don’t have to travel to reach a pharmacy for these tests
- DIY pregnancy tests are wallet-friendly
- Natural ingredients do not have an expiry date, unlike pregnancy test kits
Key facts to know before taking home pregnancy tests
- Conception means that the woman’s embryo has attached itself to the uterine wall, the placenta has been formed, and it has started producing human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) hormone
- Subsequently, the hCG hormone enters the bloodstream and urine
- The tests are aimed at detecting hCG in the urine
- The best time to take a pregnancy test is a day after a missed period
- You must be extra cautious while judging your period date as it may cause confusion
Ways to ensure the accuracy of home pregnancy tests
- Take a urine sample in a clean container
- Collect a sample of first urine as soon as you wake up, as it has high hCG levels
- Then, take a substantial amount of urine as too less quantity may produce an inaccurate result
- Wait for about 10 minutes after the test to let the reaction happen
- If you have any doubt, do take the test again to be sure
Top 10 Home Pregnancy Tests
So, here are the top 10 home pregnancy tests to help you keep it a secret –
1. Salt Pregnancy Test
It is regarded as one of the easiest and most efficient ways to check pregnancy status. Here is the method – 
|Keep your morning urine sample in a glass and add a pinch or two of salt in it. Then wait for 3-4 minutes.
|Will show some creamy white clumps.
|There will be no reaction between salt and urine.
2. Sugar Pregnancy Test
It is also a very easy way to test your pregnancy easily at home. Here is the method – 
|Collect a bowl of your first urine in the morning. Put a tablespoon sugar into a bowl, and pour the urine on it.
|hCG in the urine doesn’t let urine to dissolve easily. It will show sugar forming lumps in the urine.
|Sugar will readily dissolve in urine.
3. Baking Soda Home Pregnancy Test
Apart from being a handy kitchen ingredient, it also helps you detect pregnancy at home. The method – 
|Use a clean cup, add baking soda in it, and add the sample of your first urine of the day.
|Bleaching powder will react with the urine, and create fizz and bubbles.
|Will have no reaction at all.
4. Wheat & Barley Home Pregnancy Test
Does it sound strange? Well, it is also true. Wheat and barley, both, germinate very quickly when mixed with the urine of a pregnant lady. To execute this test, you need a container, both the seeds and a urine sample. Method – 
|Mix barley, wheat and urine samples in a bowl. Leave the mixture for two days to germinate.
|The germination process will begin in a couple of days.
|They will not sprout in a couple of days.
5. Mustard Powder Home Pregnancy Test
If you are having a delay in your periods, you can try mixing 3/4th cup of mustard powder in a bathtub having warm water. Mustard powder helps you in getting rid of delayed periods. Method – 
|Mix the mustard powder in warm bathtub water, and keep yourself in it for at least 20 minutes. Now, just wait for 2-3 days more.
|You will still not have your periods.
|You will have your periods.
6. Dandelion Leaves Home Pregnancy Test
This test is known for its accuracy. It is very easy to conduct if you have a dandelion plant near you. You just need some leaves of this plant, a plastic sheet and early morning urine sample to do it. Method – 
|Put some dandelion leaves on the plastic sheet, and ensure that it doesn’t get any direct sunlight. Pour the urine on them and wait for 10 minutes.
|Leaves will turn reddish-brown or there will be a bubble formation.
|There will be no change in the leaves.
7. Urine Storing Home Pregnancy Test
You can also test your pregnancy by simply storing your early morning urine sample in a glass jar. Method – 
|Keep the early morning urine sample in a jar for about 24 hours.
|You will see a thin layer of the film right on top of the stored urine sample.
|There will not be any layer or film.
8. Wine Home Pregnancy Test
You can also use wine to test your pregnancy at home. All you require for this is some wine and early morning urine samples. Method – 
|Put wine and urine samples in equal amounts in a cup.
|Wine will change its colour.
|Colour of wine will not change.
9. Tuna Juice Home Pregnancy Test
This is also a very easy and accurate way to test your pregnancy. Things you will need to conduct this are your early morning urine sample, canned tuna, white vinegar and a container. Method – 
|Take tuna juice and vinegar in equal quantities in a bowl. Keep them idle for 24 hours, and then mix the urine sample.
|The mixture will change its colour to dark green.
|The mixture will turn yellow.
10. Basal Body Temperature Home Pregnancy Test
During pregnancy, the woman’s basal body temperature (the lowest body temperature you have while resting) stays quite high as compared to the normal times. So, monitoring this using a basal body thermometer can also tell you your pregnancy status. Method – 
|Check your temperature with a basal body thermometer as soon as you wake up in the morning.
|It will show a body temperature of 37°C or 98.6°F.
|The temperature will be lower than this.
The above-discussed home pregnancy tests used to be very popular a few decades ago. Over time, with the progress of medical science, home pregnancy test kits have become more popular. Having said that, the ancient home pregnancy tests can still help you figure out your status without you having to visit a medical store or a doctor’s clinic. However, once you know you are pregnant, consulting a gynaecologist immediately is highly recommended.
References –  – PREGNYL  – The Human Urine Metabolome  – Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG)  – The History of the Pregnancy Test from Rabbit Tests to Websites  – Strips of Hope: Accuracy of Home Pregnancy Tests and New Developments  – Pregnancy Testing Through the Ages  – The Ultimate List of DIY Pregnancy Tests – Do they work or not?  – Basal body temperature for natural family planning